U.S. Army Official Site

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ


Where can I get copies of my personnel records?

Former/retired Army Civilian employees:

Contact the National Personnel Records Center at:

Civilian Records Facility

111 Winnebago Street

St. Louis, Missouri 63118-4199

Active duty retirees should contact:

Military Records Facility

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis Missouri 63132-5100

Phone: (800) 318-5298

At minimum, please include the service member's complete name, Social Security number and/or serial number, and the requester's return address.


How do I correct errors in my military records?

In order to get your military service records upgraded/changes, you must contact your respective service Board for Correction of Military Records. Contact information for each board is listed below:

Army Board of Correction

Crystal Mall 4, Room 220

Arlington, VA 22202-4508

Phone: 703-607-1611


How do I verify my past federal employment?

If it has been less than six months since you were employed with a Federal agency, first contact the personnel department of the agency for which you worked to assist you in determining the necessary procedures.

If you are unable to obtain your records from the personnel department or if it has been more than six months since you were employed with that Federal agency, send a written request for the records to the NPRC Civilian Personnel Records Division. Please note that the Civilian Personnel Records Division will only provide copies of documents and information to the subject of the file or someone who has received written authorization from the subject of the file.


I would like to get an American Flag flown at the Pentagon to give to my brother for his service to our nation. Can you tell me who I need to talk with to get a Flag?

For a flag flown over the Pentagon the requestor must provide the flag. The request must be submitted 3 business days before date to be flown. Flags will not be flown on "Holidays." When sending a flag through the mail, please be sure to insert return postage.

The requestor should include the following information in their request:

1. The name of the person and organization.

2. The occasion (retirement, PCS, anniversaries, etc.).

3. The date the flag should be flown.

4. Point of contact and a commercial telephone number.

Submit the written request to:

Defense Protective Service Operations Branch Commander's Office

Washington HQ Services,

Room 2E148 1155 Defense Pentagon

Washington, DC 20301-1155


How can I find the address of a specific present or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces?

Requests for military addresses should be sent to the respective service of the individual whose address is being sought. Military regulations and the Privacy Act of 1974 do not permit the military departments to provide email addresses, home addresses or telephone numbers of service personnel. Moreover, regulations do not permit random dissemination of listings of names and addresses of service personnel. These regulations have been established to protect individual service men and women from commercial exploitation and to respect their right of privacy.

Because of the large volume of requests that each service locator receives, please allow four weeks processing time for written requests. The following information is needed for all requests for locator services: Give as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate such as full name, rank, last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

The locator service is free to immediate family members and government officials. Other family members, civilian friends, businesses and others must pay $3.50. The check or money order must be made out to the U.S. Treasury. It is not refundable. United States Army The Army will help you locate individuals on active duty only, not retirees.

The Army World Wide Locator address is:

Commander U.S. Army Enlisted Records & Evaluation Center

ATTN: Locator

8899 East 56th Street

Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN 46249-5301


How is the Army National Guard different from the Army Reserve?

The Army Reserve is completely controlled by the federal government and serves solely as a federal reserve to the Active Army. The Army National Guard, on the other hand, may be controlled by either the state or the federal government, depending on the circumstance. The Army Guard force structure consists of Combat, Combat Support and Combat Service Support units, while the Army Reserve force is primarily comprised of Combat Support and Combat Service Support. The ARNG consists of approximately 340,000 Soldiers versus just over 200,000 in the USAR. Both organizations are part of The Army, which consists of the Active, Guard and Reserve components.