Banner image  
Rotating images

The Army National Guard (ARNG) is one branch of the Army (which consists of the Active Army, the Army National Guard and the Army Reserve.) The Army National Guard is composed primarily citizens who have civilian jobs or are full-time students s who serve in the military on a part-time basis.

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

Where can I get information about enlisting in the Utah Army National Guard?

Do you have the mailing addresses and telephone numbers of the Utah Army National Guard Public Affairs office?

Where can I get copies of my personnel records?


Former/retired Army Civilian employees:
Contact the National Personnel Records Center at:
Civilian Records Facility
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118-4199

Active duty retirees should contact:
Military Records Facility
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis Missouri 63132-5100
Phone: (800) 318-5298

At minimum, please include the service member's complete name, Social Security number and/or serial number, and the requester's return address. Website is: or

How do I correct errors in my military records?

In order to get your military service records upgraded/changes, you must contact your respective service Board for Correction of Military Records. Contact information for each board is listed below:
Army Board of Correction
Crystal Mall 4, Room 220
Arlington, VA 22202-4508
Phone: 703-607-1611

How do I obtain the services of a Utah Army National Guard Color Guard or military band?

How do I request a helicopter display or a flyover?

How do I explore opportunities for employment with the Utah Army National Guard as a federal civilian employee?

For Army federal employment explore the Army’s Civilian Personnel web site:

The primary web site to look for civilian federal jobs is
It's user-friendly and you can also search for jobs by agency.

How do I verify my past federal employment?

If it has been less than six months since you were employed with a Federal agency, first contact the personnel department of the agency for which you worked to assist you in determining the necessary procedures.

If you are unable to obtain your records from the personnel department or if it has been more than six months since you were employed with that Federal agency, send a written request for the records to the NPRC Civilian Personnel Records Division. Please note that the Civilian Personnel Records Division will only provide copies of documents and information to the subject of the file or someone who has received written authorization from the subject of the file.

Do you have a listing of frequently used DoD acronyms?

How can I get information on surplus auctions?
Contact the Defense Disposition Services at 1-877-352-2255.

Where can I get old Army stuff?

Equipment that is old, has been replaced or is no longer needed is turned in to the Defense Disposition Services. There are numerous facilities located around the country. To find out more about how to get equipment from these sites you can visit their web site at or check with a local military installation that has a Disposition office. Equipment is "demilitarized", if required, to ensure that it is safe prior to sale.

Where can I find information on Arlington National Cemetery?

How do I find the location of national VA cemeteries across the country?

What educational benefits are available for Soldiers or Veterans?
Or call Education (GI Bill): 1-888-442-4551

I would like to get an American Flag flown at the Pentagon to give to my brother for his service to our nation. Can you tell me who I need to talk with to get a Flag?

For a flag flown over the Pentagon the requestor must provide the flag. The request must be submitted 3 business days before date to be flown. Flags will not be flown on "Holidays." When sending a flag through the mail, please be sure to insert return postage.

The requestor should include the following information in their request:
1. The name of the person and organization. 2. The occasion (retirement, PCS, anniversaries, etc.). 3. The date the flag should be flown. 4. Point of contact and a commercial telephone number.

Submit the written request to:
Defense Protective Service Operations Branch Commander's Office
Washington HQ Services,
Room 2E148 1155 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1155

How can I find the address of a specific present or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces?

How can I find the address of a specific present or former member of the U.S. Armed Forces? Requests for military addresses should be sent to the respective service of the individual whose address is being sought. Military regulations and the Privacy Act of 1974 do not permit the military departments to provide email addresses, home addresses or telephone numbers of service personnel. Moreover, regulations do not permit random dissemination of listings of names and addresses of service personnel. These regulations have been established to protect individual service men and women from commercial exploitation and to respect their right of privacy.

Because of the large volume of requests that each service locator receives, please allow four weeks processing time for written requests. The following information is needed for all requests for locator services: Give as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate such as full name, rank, last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

The locator service is free to immediate family members and government officials. Other family members, civilian friends, businesses and others must pay $3.50. The check or money order must be made out to the U.S. Treasury. It is not refundable. United States Army The Army will help you locate individuals on active duty only, not retirees.

The Army World Wide Locator address is:
Commander U.S. Army Enlisted Records & Evaluation Center
ATTN: Locator
8899 East 56th Street
Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN 46249-5301

Where are National Guard units located?

The Army National Guard has more than 1,832 units located in more than 2,700 communities across the 54 states, territories and the District of Columbia. Each state has a unique force structure and a varying number of units, personnel, armories and training sites. For more information, visit the Guard's website at

How is the Army National Guard different from the Army Reserve?

The Army Reserve is completely controlled by the federal government and serves solely as a federal reserve to the Active Army. The Army National Guard, on the other hand, may be controlled by either the state or the federal government, depending on the circumstance. The Army Guard force structure consists of Combat, Combat Support and Combat Service Support units, while the Army Reserve force is primarily comprised of Combat Support and Combat Service Support. The ARNG consists of approximately 340,000 Soldiers versus just over 200,000 in the USAR. Both organizations are part of The Army, which consists of the Active, Guard and Reserve components.

What benefits do I get from having employees who are Guard members or Army Reservists?

There are many benefits to employing Guardsmen and Reservists. You will have an employee who has been trained to possess and use superior leadership skills and discipline - someone who has proven their ability to commit to goals, objectives and ideas with a high level of motivation. You will have an employee who has valuable job skills ranging from specific technical expertise to leadership. The employee will also receive additional training as time goes on - at no cost to you. The concept of the citizen-Soldier is based upon a person committed to fulfilling both their civilian and military responsibilities, a person who becomes a special member of their community.

I have some questions regarding TRICARE. Where can I go online for answers?

The following link will provide for you information about contacting your regional TRICARE office by phone or by e-mail:

How can I access my DD 214 on-line?

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents from the National Military Personnel Records Center (NPRC) at the National Archives Center in Saint Louis, Mo.

Veterans and next of kin may access this application at

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records center's mailroom processing time. Also, because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized.

Are there opportunities for active duty veterans with the National Guard or Reserve?

Once certain thresholds have been met (with regard to age, years of service, etc.) Soldiers usually are not eligible for reentry to service, however, there are other ways that many veterans continue to serve. Most states have a volunteer force of veterans, often referred to as a "defense force", "volunteer force" or state "militia" who serve in a variety of roles within the respective states. More information can be obtained by contacting state or territorial headquarters.



SSG Ashley Baum

Public Affairs Specialist

(801) 432-4197

LTC Steve Fairbourn

UTNG Public Affairs Officer

(801) 432-4407

Ileen Kennedy

Public Affairs Specialist

(801) 432-4229