Utah National Guard Header


Welcome to the Utah National Guard Education Web Site. The intent of this web site is to provide useful education information for guard members. Please select an option from the menu below to retrieve education info. Also check the education news located on this webpage for new and important information

The following list applies to both Service members & Family members

1.Eligibility in state of legal residence

1.Military personnel and their spouse/dependents remain eligible for in-state tuition benefits as long as Utah remains their home of record.

2.Eligibility in state of assignment

2.Soldiers assigned to active duty in Utah, and the immediate members of their families residing with them, are entitled to resident status for tuition purposes.

3.Continuity of in state eligibility once established

3.Benefit continues when military sponsor is reassigned to another state, the military member spouses/dependents will maintain eligibility for in-state tuition if they maintain continuous enrollment at the degree level in which currently enrolled.

Tuition FAQ's

Q: How do I apply for Federal Tuition Assistance online?

A: To apply for Federal Tuition Assistance go to https://minuteman.ngb.army.mil/benefits/ and login using your CAC card.




State Tuition Assistance Program

Utah National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program 

The Utah National Guard is scheduled to receive funding for State Tuition Assistance (STA) to help our Soldiers/Airmen pursue their civilian education goals. STA can be applied to a course or program taken at a regionally or nationally accredited, public or private college, university, vocational, technical or trade school located inside or outside the State of Utah.

Soldiers/Airmen may receive up to $250 per semester hour. This amount cannot exceed 100% of the tuition cost for a course. The total amount of ARNG STA each Soldier/Airman is entitled to receive will not exceed $4,500 per year.

The TA program may also fund clock hours for vocational and technical training courses and certificates offered by non-degree-granting accredited institutions. A formula is used to convert the clock hours to credit hours and the semester hour spending cap and annual caps are applied.

Soldiers/Airmen can also receive STA for distance learning courses.

Soldiers/Airmen may use STA to receive one credential from each of the following levels: 

    1). Secondary School (High School) Diploma or its equivalency (GED);
    2). Certificate (undergraduate, graduate, vocational, technical, licensure);
    3). Associate degree;
    4). Baccalaureate degree;
    5). Master's degree.

First Professional and Doctoral degree programs will not be funded by STA.

Examples of first professional degrees include: Architecture, Certified Public Accountant, Podiatry (D.P.M.), Dentistry (D.D.S. or D.M.D.), Medicine (M.D.), Optometry (O.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Pharmacy (D. Phar.), Law (J.D.), and Theology (M. Div or M.H.L.).

Applying for State Tuition Assistance

Enclosed are forms and instructions for the State Tuition Assistance (STA) program.  Although you may have used STA in the past, please read all instructions thoroughly.  Any incorrect or incomplete applications will be returned.

State Tuition Assistance is an "up front" payment program.   Applications must be received 3 weeks prior to the course start date.   Applications will be processed on a "first come first served" basis due to the availability of funds.

Soldiers/Airmen must provide:
1. State Tuition Assistance application
2. State Tuition Assistance Agreement and Progress Form
3. Annual STA SOU (Statement of Understanding to the following email addresses:


Army Guard: ng.ut.utarng.list.education-office@mail.mil

Air Guard: 151arw.sta@ang.af.mil

View and Print Application forms
  1State Tuition Assistance Application Form(PDF)
  2. Statement of Understanding (SOU)(PDF)
.The SOU must be read and signed by each Soldier/Airman applying for STA.
  3. State Tuition Assistance Agreement and Progress Form.

Where do I Email the application packet?



Can I use STA and Montgomery GI Bill benefits for the same courses?
In FY04, beginning on 1 October 2003, Soldiers/Airmen who are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606 (and/or the MGIB Kicker Program) may receive STA up to the current authorized levels provided the student is enrolled at least 1/2 time or more. The Department of Veterans Affairs defines 1/2 time as enrollment in between 6 and 8 credits or semester hours, which is generally considered to be enrollment in two classes at the same time. In this case, STA, the MGIB-SR and the MGIB Kicker Programs may be combined and may exceed 100 percent of tuition costs.

Soldiers eligible to receive the MGIB-Active Duty, Chapter 30, the Veteran’s Education Assistance Program (VEAP), Chapter 34 or Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA), Chapter 35 are eligible to receive Federal TA simultaneously for the same course and exceed 100 percent of tuition costs provided they have not contracted for a MGIB Kicker in the ARNG. Soldiers eligible to receive the MGIB-AD, VEAP or DEA who have contracted for a MGIB Kicker in the ARNG may only use STA for course(s) that are beyond what is considered full-time enrollment by the school. The Department of Veterans Affairs defines full-time enrollment as 12 or more credit or semester hours.

Can I use my Pell Grant and State Tuition Assistance together?
Yes, in the case where a Soldier/Airman is eligible for both State Tuition Assistance(STA) and a Pell Grant, STA will be used first to pay tuition cost.   This allows the Pell Grant to be used for other necessary expenses.   

Is funding guaranteed?
The viability of the STA program hinges upon the amount of funds provided to the Utah National Guard by National Guard Bureau each fiscal year. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that a Soldier/Airman will receive tuition assistance under this program. STA is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis. Soldiers/Airmen must apply for STA prior to the beginning of ths school term.

Do I incur a service commitment if I accept STA funding?
Enlisted Soldiers/Airmen and warrant officers must have sufficient time remaining before their current service obligation/Expiration Term of Service (ETS) to complete the course unless involuntarily separated with an honorable discharge.

Commissioned officers must have four (4) years of Selected Reserve service remaining from the date of completion of the course for which STA is provided.


State Tuition Waiver Program (Scholarship)

The State Tuition Waiver Program was developed to aid Soldiers and Airmen of the Utah National Guard to receive tuition assistance at all Utah State public universities and colleges. The program will cover the cost of tuition equivalent to the full time rate of (12-18 credit hours) for the academic school year.  This includes both semesters for Fall and Spring each year.   To be considered for the State Tuition Waiver you must submit an application between January 1st and May 31st prior to the year you will attend.

ELIGIBILITY: Senate Bill 109 limits eligibility to Utah National Guard members who:

1. Have been accepted as a student at a Utah State public College or University for the 2011-2012 school year.
2. Will be attending school as a full-time student for the entire 2012-2013 school year.
3. Are MOS/AFSC qualified?
4. Do not have a 4-year degree.
5. Who are not on active duty (AGR/ADSW)
6. Are considered Utah residents by the school they will be attending.



1. Complete the application for the Utah National Guard Tuition Waiver. (State Tuition Waiver Application)
2. Submit a short essay (1 to 2 pages) on “Discuss your military goals and how your civilian education will assist you in achieving those goals.”
3. Submit a copy of your school transcripts for every high school, college, or university that you have attended.  Copies of  your transcripts maybe unofficial (copied and pasted into a word document).  But the unofficial transcripts must have your name and the name of the school on the copy and pasted document.


Once you have completed your application you may submit it via email to  ng.ut.utarng.list.education-office@mail.mil.  Application packets must be mailed or emailed to the appropriate Education Office, and be postmarked no later then 31 May 2012;

Air National Guard                                                            Army National Guard
UTAH AIR NATIONAL GUARD                                                   UTAH ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
ATTN: 151stMSF-DPH                                                              ATTN: UT-G1-ESO
765 North 2200 West                                                                12953 South Minuteman Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116                                                        Draper, Utah 84020-1776






Utah National Guard

Draper Headquarters Hours of Operation

Contact Us

12953 S. Minuteman Drive

Draper, UT  84020-1776

(801) 432-4400